Intermediate/senior software developer
At Precision Analytics, the software development team is critical to how we do business. We count on our developers to technically empower our data science team and to work directly with our clients to understand and deliver requirements.
Developers at Precision Analytics are given ownership over everything they work on. We use a wide variety of technology, and are constantly adopting new technology to allow us to interact with cutting edge scientific approaches.
We are looking for an intermediate/senior software developer. You will work in a small team and work directly with our clients both new and existing, who range from small biotechnology start-ups to large pharmaceutical manufacturers.
As an intermediate/senior software developer, you will take ownership of portions of both new and existing projects. This will have you interacting with clients in order to understand their business needs, and then using that knowledge to design and implement solutions that empower them to achieve their goals.
Depending on the project, this may require you to explore a new data source, and then find a way to incorporate it into a new or existing data pipeline. Or, you may need to understand a specialized workflow, and translate it into a user-friendly web application. In addition to these more specialized scenarios, you will also be expected to extend existing applications with new features requested by clients, as well as improve them by resolving issues identified both internally and externally. Finally, in order to make all of this possible, you will occasionally have to deploy and/or maintain the cloud-computing resources powering the different applications that you are working on.
- A client performs genetic sequencing. A data pipeline (built by Precision Analytics in R), exists to transform and load data into a mix of data stores (relational and columnar databases) where an interactive application, developed in R and Shiny, gives scientists the ability to see and ask questions about that data to help them steer their research and development for future trials.
- A new academic paper has just been published showing a recently discovered protein is a marker for health for the condition our client is aiming to treat. Our client’s scientists want to understand if the existence of that protein can be used to gauge the effectiveness of their drug.
- We need to incorporate a new data source, amend the pipeline to transform and load it, update the application to reflect new analyses performed by PA data scientists.
- Front- and back-end work - e.g., interactive dashboards and enterprise web applications;
- Testing, debugging, and refactoring existing codebases;
- A thorough code review process;
- Data modelling, and designing database schemas;
- Assisting in the exploration and wrangling of new data;
- Deploying and maintaining web servers;
- Learning and working in many different programming languages;
- Exploring and discussing new programming paradigms, libraries and approaches;
- Taking initiative and ownership, working both independently and in a team;
- Prioritizing multiple tasks under deadlines;
- Thinking creatively and outside the box about analytical problems.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field;
- Have 3+ years of professional experience as a software developer;
- Have experience using Git and GitHub;
- Are comfortable working with Linux via a command-line interface;
- Are able and willing to learn new complex methods and technologies;
- Are able to communicate in English clearly and accurately with people from various technical backgrounds.
- Have experience writing Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) pipelines;
- Can create visualizations, dashboards, and/or automated reports (using, e.g.,
ggplot2, plotly , Shiny , R Markdown / Quarto );
- Are able to manage and query data in a relational database management system using SQL;
- Have experience deploying and configuring cloud-computing resources using Amazon Web Services (AWS);
- Have experience working for a scientific organization and/or working with scientific or experimental data.
- An opportunity to use your talent to empower ground-breaking research;
- An environment in which you can continually learn and grow;
- An annual professional development budget;
- A remote-first work environment;
- Competitive compensation, including an annual bonus;
- Flexible paid time off;
- Health and dental benefits.
To apply, send your application package to: contact [at] precision-analytics [dot] ca. Your application must contain both a:
- Resume or CV;
- Cover letter explaining your interest in this role, and relevant education and/or experience;
Applications not meeting these requirements will not be considered.
Note: Applicants must reside in Canada, be legally authorized to work in Canada, and be willing to work in Eastern Standard/Daylight Time. Exact start date is flexible. This is a remote position and Precision Analytics is a remote-first company.