Intermediate software developer (Bioinformatics)
At Precision Analytics, the software development team plays an integral role in satisfying our clients’ needs. In addition to collaborating with key stakeholders in order to understand and satisfy business requirements, software developers work closely with our experienced data scientists to assist them in executing their analyses as efficiently as possible. In this environment, developers are never limited to a small subset of basic development tasks; instead, they actively participate in all phases of the software development life cycle.
We are searching for an intermediate software developer with with at least two years of professional work experience and ideally some experience with bioinformatics tools and data. In this position, you will collaborate with other team members to meet the needs of our clients, who range from small biotechnology start ups to large pharmaceutical manufacturers.
As an intermediate software developer, your main responsibility will be designing and implementing small- to medium-sized features that solve clients’ business needs. This will require you to understand the problem from the client’s perspective, by asking yourself questions such as:
- What goal am I trying to achieve?
- Does the workflow for achieving my goal feel natural?
- Do the concrete outcomes meet the requirements for my goal?
Armed with this knowledge, you will be able to design and implement efficient solutions that empower clients to achieve their objectives.
- Trying to find the best possible solution to clients’ business needs;
- Working on both the front- and back-end of interactive dashboards and enterprise web applications;
- Learning and working in different programming languages;
- Exploring and discussing various programming paradigms and software libraries;
- Testing, debugging, and refactoring existing codebases;
- Learning from others’ code and receiving feedback in pull-request reviews;
- Assisting in the exploration and wrangling of new data;
- Data modelling and designing database schemas;
- Deploying and maintaining web servers;
- Taking initiative and ownership, working both independently and in a team;
- Prioritizing multiple tasks under deadlines;
- Thinking creatively and out-of-the-box with analytical problems.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, bioinformatics, or a related field;
- Have 2+ years of professional experience as a software developer;
- Have experience using Git and GitHub;
- Are comfortable working with Linux via a command-line interface;
- Are able to communicate in English clearly and accurately with people from various technical backgrounds;
- Are able and willing to learn new complex methods and technologies.
- Have experience writing Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) pipelines;
- Have experience working for a scientific organization and/or working with scientific or experimental data;
- Can create visualizations, dashboards, or automated reports (e.g., ggplot2, R Markdown, plotly, Shiny);
- Are able to manage and query data in a relational database management system using SQL;
- Have experience deploying and configuring cloud-computing resources using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- An opportunity to use your talent to empower ground-breaking research;
- An environment in which you can continually learn and grow;
- An annual professional development budget;
- A remote-first work environment;
- Competitive compensation, including an annual bonus;
- Flexible paid time off;
- Health and dental benefits.
To apply, send your application package to contact AT precision-analytics.ca. Your application must contain all three of:
- Resume or CV;
- Cover letter explaining your interest in this role and relevant education and/or experience;
- An example of your technical work (e.g., GitHub repo, a script, a report, a project, or a technical manuscript).
Applications not meeting these requirements will not be considered.
Note: Applicants must reside in Canada, be legally authorized to work in Canada, and be willing to work in Eastern Standard/Daylight Time. Exact start date is flexible. Employees may work remotely or from our offices in downtown Montreal.